Perception Misconceptions...
A really good friend of mine got into a pretty heated argument this week. In all actuality, the content of the argument is irrelevant; but what I don't understand is why it even happened. After reflecting on the day, I've come up the only logical answer. We had different perceptions about things.One of the greatest things about human beings over other creatures on this earth is our mind power. We have the ability to reason, ability to rationalize and create new and beautiful things. Along with these abilities, we also run into trouble when things are vague, or unclear and we 'fill' in the blanks with the most "appropriate" solution possible.
This is where my friend and I didn't see eye to eye. What I thought was X, was their Y--all do to our own perception about the situation.
I'm happy to report that we're perfectly OK now; it would take a lot more than a silly argument to ruin our friendship. It's fascinating how two wonderful, well-rounded, logical people can perceive the same situation so differently.
While I was quite upset about the argument with my good friend, I'm happy it happened. I did learn a lot about myself and them. It is so important, especially with people who mean something to you, to be SUPER clear about what you mean. Try and leave little room for ambiguities...because perceptions and misconceptions about things can certainly let you down!

1 Comments:
You really have a nice way of writing and I appreciated this post for a few reasons, but the main thing being that while at times an argument can be difficult, it brings people closer together once it has reached a conclusion. Thanks for the great post.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home