Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Abnormal Psychology


I've started working towards getting my Master's Degree in Counselling through Athabasca University. Not the most prestigious university in the world, but I can do all my classes online and do my practicum in my own town. That was the selling point. Afterall, after I win the lottery, I can go to school full time, but not right now.....

After doing some investigation, I've realized that I don't have all the pre-requistes to apply for the program, so I'm going to have to brush up on some psychology classes prior to applying. With that being said, I've started "Adult Developmental Psychology" and "Abnormal Psychology".


Abnormal Psychology has been facinating. A lot of the stigmas and misconceptions about different diseases/syndromes/disabilities have been put to rest. It's great how education actually EDUCATES you, eh? Depression isn't just sadness; suicide attempters are seriously wanting to hurt themselves and not just craving attention; and phobias about things/objects/places are REAL and not a cry for attention.


The one negative thing about this course is that I've single-handedly convinced myself of the following:

  1. I'm manic depressive/bipolar
  2. I'm agoraphobic
  3. That I'm mentally challenged
  4. That I need a PET/CAT/MRI done on myself
  5. I suffer from some kind of Post-Traumatic Stress disorder
  6. I'm due for (my first) anxiety attack any second now
  7. I will faint if I see blood (Blood-Injection-Injury Phobia)
  8. I'm unipolar depressed
  9. I'm hearing voices

I wonder how many psychiatrists go and see other psychiatrists?

2 Comments:

At 2:39 PM, July 29, 2008 , Blogger The Shuster said...

You see, that is why I stay away from schools. I already know I'm messed up, I don't need to know how many different ways I can be messed up.

 
At 3:04 PM, July 29, 2008 , Blogger Stinky T said...

#4.. staple tests done on House MD. I don't know how that's at all relevant to your maybe, maybe not mental issues but if House wanted to examine me I've already laid myself out on a bed of lettuce.

I'm sorry, that is so inappropriate. Do you think me and Hugh would fit in the MRI machine at the same time?

So, so sorry! This is what happens when I comment...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home